Teriyaki Beef Jerky
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + marinating Bake: 4 hours
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Trim all visible fat from steak. Freeze, covered, 30 minutes or until firm. Slice steak along the grain into long 1/8-in.-thick strips.
- Transfer to a large resealable plastic bag. In a small bowl, whisk remaining ingredients; add to beef. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 170°. Transfer beef and marinade to a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Using tongs, remove beef from marinade; drain on paper towels. Discard marinade.
- Arrange beef strips in single layer on wire racks placed on 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Dry in oven 4-5 hours or until beef becomes dry and leathery, rotating pans occasionally. (Or use a commercial dehydrator, following manufacturer's directions.)
- Remove from oven; cool completely. Using paper towels, blot any beads of oil on jerky. For best quality and longer storage, store jerky, covered, in refrigerator or freezer.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce: 132 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 17g protein.
Apr 27, 2019
This was very good. I added some cayenne pepper. I used moose meat, cut up a roast. I will use this recipe again. Janet VFE
Mar 24, 2015
Great recipe. I tweaked it a little by putting my own touch on it. I added brown sugar and a tsp. of horseradish.