Tart Cranberry Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge chicken. In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Brown the chicken on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
- Add water, cranberries, brown sugar, nutmeg and, if desired, vinegar to the pan; cook and stir until the berries burst, about 5 minutes. Return chicken to skillet. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is tender, basting occasionally with the sauce. Serve with rice. Freeze option: Place chicken in freezer containers; top with sauce. If desired, place rice in separate freezer containers. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water to chicken if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 284 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein.
Jan 6, 2018
I've been making this for years from the cookbook. I like to do it with cubed chicken and make a large batch for a pot luck with rice! I double the sauce for this also.I've also used white wine in place of a cup of water.
Dec 14, 2017
Wow! This recipe rocks! .... I’ve made it 8 times within 2 months and it’s a hit EVERYTIME! ... Now I did make a few tweaks to it after trying the original way, and I gotta say... Everyone prefers my new and improved way better. I used chicken broth instead of water... a really nice thick red raspberry vinigerette.... and CRAISINS instead of fresh or frozen cranberries.... it’s soooo much better. Love love love this recipe
Mar 22, 2013
My whole family loved this chicken. Even my small children really liked it and wanted seconds. It is easy to make and well worth the time.
Oct 24, 2012
review forgot the <> would i make this again-- question -- where does the taste come from ???
Dec 24, 2011
My family and I love this recipe. I am going to use pork chops for the first time.
Jan 30, 2011
I have been using this recipe for years (aquired from one of your magazines) but actually have never made it with chicken, I have always used pork chops, which are fantastic. My favorite "pork chop" recipe.
Jan 1, 2011
I love this recipe. Ive made it for the first time for my family when my son was a newborn...I loved it! I make it in the fall/early winter. Cranberry and chicken are my faves. Great combo!
Jun 1, 2010
I love this recipe so much that in the fall I stock up on cranberries to freeze so I can enjoy this meal all year around. It's so delicious and smells awesome when cooking. I serve it over plain couscous, but it's also good over rice.
Feb 15, 2010
We very much enjoyed this tangy chicken dish. Everyone thought it was a keeper, the chicken was moist and tender, and the sauce was excellent on the brown rice I served with it. Healthy and tasty!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.