Meet the Cook: My husband and I have a small bog. So I "experiment" with cranberry recipes every fall! I came across this one in a cookbook, then just changed around a few things to better suit our tastes. Cranberry/Orange Chicken is a nice New England dinner our entire family (we have two teenagers) enjoys. Sometimes, I'll make cranberry sauce, too, to top off a dessert of gingerbread. -Sharon Parsons, Killingworth, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 3 pounds), cut up
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups whole fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Red food coloring, optional
- Combine the flour and salt and place in a plastic bag. Shake chicken, a few pieces at a time, in flour mixture. Melt butter in a large skillet; brown chicken on all sides.
- In a saucepan, combine remaining ingredients except food coloring; bring to a boil. Pour over chicken; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 180°. Remove chicken to a warm platter.
- Bring sauce to a boil and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened. Add a few drops red food coloring if desired. Serve with chicken.