- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded (10 cups)
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or additional cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, stir the cider vinegar and sugars until sugars are dissolved. Add cabbage; toss to coat. Let stand for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, reserving drippings.
- In the drippings, saute apple and onion until tender. Add water and cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with reserved bacon just before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forSweet-Sour Red Cabbage with Bacon
"Outstanding recipe. Best red cabbage I have ever eaten."
"very good, added a bit more of the vinagar"
"This is now one of my favorites. The flavor and texture are excellent."
"Fantastic. Added more bacon and no apples. Will definitely make this again!"
"This is perfect with the Hungarian chicken!"
"My husband is German...I make this for him at all special occassions. It's so good! Cook it a little longer than it calls for...best when tende, not crisp."