Sweet Potato & Bean Quesadillas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3/4 cup salsa
- Scrub sweet potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high 7-9 minutes or until very tender, turning once.
- When cool enough to handle, cut each potato lengthwise in half. Scoop out pulp. Spread onto one half of each tortilla; top with beans and cheese. Fold other half of tortilla over filling.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Cook quesadillas 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve with salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 quesadilla with 3 tablespoons salsa: 306 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 531mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 11g protein.
Jun 18, 2017
So simple and really good.
Oct 3, 2014
I made this recipe with pinto beans instead of black beans. Next time, I will add a few veggies. My husband and I are vegetarians, and we enjoyed this recipe very much for dinner with salsa and sour cream. Thanks Brittany.
Aug 31, 2014
Very good and easy!
Mar 8, 2014
I love sweet potatoes but in this application it didn't make sense. It wasn't disgusting but my husband complained it was bland. I think I'll try the black bean and pepper jack together another time, though. I can't believe I never thought to use my beloved pepper jack in a quesadilla before.
Mar 4, 2014
My family loved these. I tried them bc my son is going through a picky eater stage and will not eat vegetables so I was hoping I could get him to eat these and he did!! I didn't expect them to be that flavorful but they were. I will definitely make them again!
Feb 24, 2014
Good enough to make twice, but I'm still not totally sold on the sweet potatoes inside. However, it's OK and it does make a good one-dish meal. I think salsa would help (I didn't have any).
Feb 14, 2014
I am always looking for a vegetarian recipe that is filling and tastes good to this carnivore. These do the trick. A definite addition to my recipe book!
Feb 9, 2014
I made these for dinner and was impressed. My husband who is not a fan of sweet potatoes said this was a keeper. I used a mix of pepper jack and cheddar cheese.
Feb 5, 2014
These quesadillas were pretty good. It took 15 minutes to cook the potatoes. I only used half of the sweet potato per tortilla and I increased the pepper jack to a cup. Hot sauce is a must for these bad boys.
Jan 29, 2014
Very very good. My family is not a big fan of sweet potatoes, so I'm always looking for good recipes to 'sneak' them in! This was it. We added diced chicken but would have been very good as is. Also added a little bit of greek yogurt to the mix.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.