Corn ‘n’ Squash Quesadillas
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 2 medium ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 small sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Grill corn, covered, over medium heat for 10 minutes; turn. Place the squash, onion and jalapenos on grill; cover and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side. When vegetables are cool enough to handle, remove corn from the cobs, chop the squash and onion, and seed and chop the jalapenos. Place in a large bowl.
- Stir in the basil, oregano, garlic, salt and cumin. Place 1/2 cup filling on one side of each tortilla; sprinkle with cheese. Fold tortillas over filling. On a griddle or large skillet, cook quesadillas in oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until heated through. Cut into wedges.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 quesadilla: 301 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 454mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Dec 31, 2012
My sister and I loved this recipe. The two of us ate almost the entire batch the first time we made it! I mix up the filling ahead of time so it's a quick meal when we are in a hurry.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.