My husband and I have created many wonderful memories by sharing this meal with our friends. In the winter, we bake it indoors; in the summer, it works great on the grill, too! Either way the chicken pretty much cooks itself, leaving you plenty of time to visit with friends and family or take care of other chores. —Ashlie Delshad, West Lafayett, Indiana
Recommended: 36 Bang-Bang Recipes That Turn Up the Heat
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 chipotle peppers plus 3 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- Pulse chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, tomato paste, honey, olive oil and sea salt in a food processor or blender until smooth. Spread mixture evenly over chicken. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Roast 20 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°. Roast 1-1/2 - 1-3/4 hours longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with chicken. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet and Spicy Chipotle Chicken in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2018