Swedish Fruit Soup
Our children expect me to make this sweet soup for the holidays. It's a delicious dessert served with pound cake and whipped cream...or offer it as a fruit compote for brunch.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + standing Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 4 cups cranberry-apple juice
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice or grenadine syrup, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; let stand for 10 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 15 minutes or until thickened and clear. Remove from the heat; discard lemon slices and cloves. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 160 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 61mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Swedish Fruit Soup in Country Woman Christmas 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.