Finnish Meat Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled rutabaga
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Place shortening in a large bowl. Add boiling water; stir until shortening is melted. In a small bowl, mix flour and salt. Add to shortening mixture; stir until a soft ball forms. Cover and refrigerate until cooled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 dough portion into a 17x13-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Press onto bottom and up sides of dish. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of dish.
- In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients. Spoon into pastry. Roll out remaining dough into a 13x9-in. rectangle. Place over filling. Fold bottom pastry over top pastry; press with a fork to seal. In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk; brush over pastry. Cut slits in top. Bake 1-1/4 hours or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 610 calories, 31g fat (9g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 19, 2019
This recipe is basically a giant pasty and I love it! The only thing I changed is to use 1 pound ground round and 1/2 pound ground pork instead of using all ground beef. I portion leftovers for the freezer so all my husband has to do is grab a square and heat it up in his little crockpot for a hot dinner on the road.
Dec 26, 2018
Looks delicious, but it is not Finnish. It looks like a big pastie- anyone know the origin of this recipe?
Dec 8, 2016
Looks good...wondering if you cook the meat before filling the pan?
Sep 28, 2009
Yum! I used 1 pound hamburger and it turned out fine. It's very dense and high in carbs, of course, but delicious!