Finnish Meat Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled rutabaga
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Place shortening in a large bowl. Add boiling water; stir until shortening is melted. In a small bowl, mix flour and salt. Add to shortening mixture; stir until a soft ball forms. Cover and refrigerate until cooled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 dough portion into a 17x13-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Press onto bottom and up sides of dish. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of dish.
- In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients. Spoon into pastry. Roll out remaining dough into a 13x9-in. rectangle. Place over filling. Fold bottom pastry over top pastry; press with a fork to seal. In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk; brush over pastry. Cut slits in top. Bake 1-1/4 hours or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 610 calories, 31g fat (9g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Feb 19, 2019
This recipe is basically a giant pasty and I love it! The only thing I changed is to use 1 pound ground round and 1/2 pound ground pork instead of using all ground beef. I portion leftovers for the freezer so all my husband has to do is grab a square and heat it up in his little crockpot for a hot dinner on the road.
Dec 26, 2018
Looks delicious, but it is not Finnish. It looks like a big pastie- anyone know the origin of this recipe?
Dec 8, 2016
Looks good...wondering if you cook the meat before filling the pan?
Sep 28, 2009
Yum! I used 1 pound hamburger and it turned out fine. It's very dense and high in carbs, of course, but delicious!