French Canadian Meat Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 pies (6-8 servings each)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pastry for two double-crust pies (9 inches)
- Milk, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, pork, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Remove from the heat. Stir in the potatoes, broth and seasonings.
- Line two 9-in. pie plates with pastry. Divide meat mixture between crusts. Top with remaining pastry; trim, seal and flute edges.
- Cut slits in top. Brush with milk if desired. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Aug 1, 2017
This pie turn out perfect and taste wonderful!!
Nov 12, 2016
This recipe is fantastic, thank you so much. I didn't change a thing, except I have to make a gluten free crust. I have five kids, and they all loved it. This will be made often in my house. We had it with salad, and I made brown gravy for those who wanted it. It is not bland at all, it's a very good stick to your ribs meal and I LOVE it!
Dec 28, 2012
My parents are both French Canadian and growing up in NH this was always a special treat for supper. I'm so glad I found this recipe because it is pretty close to the one my mom used to make except she used poultry seasoning instead of the other spices.
Jan 3, 2012
This recipe is fairly simple to make. However, I didn't care for how bland it came out so I added about a quarter of every spice to the meat mixture. That made it Very good. I also added about 6 tablespoons of Worchestershire sauce. This too added to the deliciousness of it. It is very good for something different. My husband is french canadian and enjoyed this recipe very much. Thank you for the great idea. I LOVE meat pies:)
Nov 4, 2011
Nothing much against this recipe. It just wasn't a favorite with my family. The mashed potatoes were different in a meat pie. I would have liked it better if the potatoes were not mashed. However, this all depends on the tastes of the person eating it.
Jan 18, 2011
I didn't really care for this recipe. I had one similar many years ago that was delicious. I'll have to dig it out.
Dec 2, 2010
This is a wonderful recipe. Very hearty and can be served with a side salad. I love it with a delicious gravy. Wonderful!
Apr 4, 2008
I have this recipe too ...except it calls for 2 potatoes to be chopped roughly as well as the mashed pototoes......EXCELLENT TOURTIERE RECIPE.......from North of Montreal
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.