Canadian Meat Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg and water; toss lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic and refrigerate.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, pork, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in seasonings; heat through.
- On a floured surface, roll out one portion of dough. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Spoon filling into crust. Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Seal and flute edges. Brush pastry with milk; cut slits in top.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown, covering edges loosely with foil if necessary. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 480 calories, 32g fat (9g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 643mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Nov 25, 2015
I made this pie for the first time and it turned out pretty well. The only thing I would do differently is perhaps make some gravy to go with the meat; as prepared, I felt the pie was a little too dry. On the upside, the crust is TO DIE FOR. Flaky and delicious; in fact, I will be using the pie crust for other pies, as well.
Jul 22, 2008
this sounds like my mother-in-law old recipe for gorton ? not sure of spelling!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.