Danish Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1 hour 40 min.
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Ground nutmeg
- In a soup kettle, bring ham bone and 2 quarts water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until meat pulls away from the bone.
- Remove ham bone. When cool enough to handle, trim any meat and dice. Discard bone. Return ham to kettle along with potatoes, onions, celery, parsley, cabbage and carrots; cook 40 minutes.
- Combine flour and 1/4 cup cold water until smooth. Slowly pour into the soup, stirring constantly. Bring soup to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cream. Remove from the heat. Garnish with nutmeg.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 190 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 19, 2014
I've made this soup many times before. Just add a little flour to help thicken the soup to your desire. It doesn't affect the taste.
Feb 27, 2014
Really good tasting soup. Was thin but a great change from thick soups. I will make again.
Jul 27, 2012
Can't click on stars. Very good. I thickened a little. lovely flavor.
May 15, 2010
soup was good but thin
Jan 6, 2010
a little thin, but nice flavor