- 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 carton (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, broccoli, mozzarella, egg whites and seasonings. Drain pasta and rinse in cold water.
- Spread half of the spaghetti sauce into 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stuff pasta shells with ricotta mixture; arrange over spaghetti sauce. Pour remaining sauce over pasta shells.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until heat through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forStuffed Vegetarian Shells
"I cut this recipe in half and baked in a 8 by 8 dish. I also used reduced fat cottage cheese and half fat free ricotta. You will not even miss the meat! Homemade sauce makes them even tastier."
"These shells were excellent. I used fresh broccoli instead frozen and simply cooked and drained the broccoli before adding it to the ricotta cheese. My young son really loved this."
"I'm a beginner at cooking and this was pretty easy. Everyone liked the recipe."
"I have been making these shells for over 50 years. They are a Holiday staple and are always asked for. The best part is, they can be made ahead and frozen until needed. You can take out 3 or 30. Voila, super dinner."