Stuffed Green Pepper
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 6 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 medium green peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup instant rice, cooked
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, onion, celery, tomato sauce, water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, cut tops off of green peppers and remove seeds; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, rice, basil and remaining salt and pepper. Fill peppers with beef mixture. Carefully place peppers in tomato sauce. Spoon some sauce over tops of peppers.
- Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until beef is cooked and peppers are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 324 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1565mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 7g fiber), 27g protein.
Sep 3, 2011
LOVED this..so good and easy.
Sep 3, 2011
Loved this recipe..so good!
Feb 5, 2010
I have made these Stuffed Green Peppers a number of times. It is easy to make and my family loves them. I always make a few extra to put in my lunch.
Sep 3, 2008
This was easy to make and I used my home-grown tomatoes, peppers and onions (YUM), but it doesn't compare to my mother's stuffed peppers! I would make these again, though.