Almost Stuffed Peppers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove; set aside and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, combine the water, tomatoes, green pepper, onion and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender. Stir in rice; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in beef; return to the heat and cook until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 240 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Dec 15, 2014
If you got to this page by a photo link on yummly or pinterest - the photo is mine and is being lifted off the AR website. The recipe has been modified, which is why it looks way saucier then the recipe here is. If you want a link to the actual recipe in the photo you can follow this one. http://oldcrohnies.blogspot.com/2011/10/unstuffed-peppers.html or find me on AR where I actually reviewed the recipe and added a photo - the user name is the same as here.
Jan 24, 2013
Quick, easy and really good. I did add about a Tbsp of minced garlic and we melted mozzarella on top before serving just like we do with real stuffed peppers. This will definitely become a regular go to quick meal.
Dec 25, 2011
Very easy and very tasty. Good with turkey sausage instead of ground beef, also.
Mar 10, 2011
it was good. But it seemed to be missing something.
Feb 11, 2011
This is a fabulous way to get all of the flavor of stuffed peppers without all of the time and effort. I like to use leftover rice and reduce the liquid and cooking time for an even faster result.
Sep 21, 2010
Definately a Keeper! First time around found it to be a bit bland - Added some Steak Seasoning & fresh garlic to veggie's - mmmmmThis one somehow finds itself repeating itself in our household too :)
Oct 5, 2009
This is a great recipe, we put it over mashed potatoes and the kids really like it.
Sep 7, 2009
this had become a regular meal at our house. It is easy to make and taste great. I passed it along to several family members and they make it regularly as well.
Aug 26, 2009
My family loved this recipe. Wasvery easy to prepare,but will use a little less rice. Was very good. In my recipe book now
May 27, 2009
My wife and I liked this recipe very much, we put in our favorites list. I did the directions a little different. After the ground beef was about half cooked I added the vegetables and spices. When the meat was cooked and veggies tender I added the remaining ingredients. It turned out great. I didn't see any reason to remove the meat and then put it back in.