Stovetop Apple Butter
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 6 to 7 pounds tart apples, unpeeled and quartered
- 3 cups water
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- In a 6- to 8-qt. heavy kettle, bring apples and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until apples are tender. Press cooked apples through a colander or food mill. Discard peels.
- Return pureed apples to the kettle. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, until the consistency is very thick and the color is dark brown, about 8 hours. Freeze in containers.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 135 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 35g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 26, 2013
This was my first time tasting or trying apple butter. EXCELLENT recipe..easy, and everyone is RAVING about it!! I canned it..processed in boiling water bath for 15 mins per Ball canning direction. Made 8 half pints.
Sep 25, 2013
I was very successful with this recipe. We get a lot of bruised apples and I like the idea of just cutting away the bruised sections and boiling down the apples without having to peel them. I just added a little nutmeg because we like the flavor. It's tasty and easy to make with very little waste.