Stovetop Apple Butter
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 6 to 7 pounds tart apples, unpeeled and quartered
- 3 cups water
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- In a 6- to 8-qt. heavy kettle, bring apples and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until apples are tender. Press cooked apples through a colander or food mill. Discard peels.
- Return pureed apples to the kettle. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, until the consistency is very thick and the color is dark brown, about 8 hours. Freeze in containers.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 135 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 35g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 0 protein.
Oct 26, 2013
This was my first time tasting or trying apple butter. EXCELLENT recipe..easy, and everyone is RAVING about it!! I canned it..processed in boiling water bath for 15 mins per Ball canning direction. Made 8 half pints.
Sep 25, 2013
I was very successful with this recipe. We get a lot of bruised apples and I like the idea of just cutting away the bruised sections and boiling down the apples without having to peel them. I just added a little nutmeg because we like the flavor. It's tasty and easy to make with very little waste.