Stout & Shiitake Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) stout or nonalcoholic beer
- 1/2 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 pound red potatoes (about 8 small), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides; remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add beer, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in mushrooms, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and savory. Return roast to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-25 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. If desired, skim fat and thicken cooking juices for gravy.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef with 1 cup vegetables: 441 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 293mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Jan 16, 2019
I made it as written. It just needed so E more seasonings to complete the flavor. I just made it and will serve to my Sons tomorrow as it said better flavor the next day. I’m letting it set up in the refrigerator and will remove the fat that I’m sure will harden. That will be easier to remove. I think this recipe is a keeper.