Stout & Honey Beef Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 12 small red potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), scrubbed
- 6 to 7 medium carrots (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds), trimmed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup beer or additional beef broth
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Minced fresh thyme, optional
- Place potatoes, carrots and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; transfer to slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine next nine ingredients; pour over top. Cook, covered, on low until meat and vegetables are tender, 8-10 hours.
- Slice beef and keep warm. Strain cooking juices, reserving vegetables and 1 cup liquid. Skim fat from reserved liquid; transfer liquid to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve with beef and vegetables. If desired, top with fresh thyme.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 361 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 25, 2015
I agree with others... Very little taste, little on the sweet side, and what taste there was wasn't spectacular. Probably won't try this one again.
Mar 22, 2014
It cooked well, but the sauce was way too sweet and not very interesting.
Mar 17, 2014
how would i adjust the honey... I tasted it this morning and it seems to be very much on the sweeter side (I had it cooking on a very low setting in my crockpot all night)
Mar 2, 2012
I wasn't inspired by this dish. We felt it lacked in flavor... sorry. I really wanted to like this recipe.
Jul 19, 2011
I also add celery to the potatoes, carrots and onion. We love this meal.
Jul 19, 2011
I have made this many times. I do not use stout but extra beef broth. It is excellent and very flavorful.
Jun 20, 2011
Although salt needs to be added to this recipe, it was an easy to fix and easy to clean up meal. After a long day at work, coming home to the aroma of honey and roasted beef was better than the welcome mat. My kids loved it too!
May 9, 2011
very little flavor, a big disappointment
Apr 16, 2011
This roast is wonderful.