Buttermilk Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 8 medium carrots, halved
- 8 small onions, cut into wedges
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Spread mustard over roast; place in a Dutch oven. Sprinkle with soup mix and pepper. Arrange vegetables around roast; pour buttermilk over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Transfer meat and vegetables to a platter and keep warm. Let meat stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Skim fat from drippings; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced to 1 cup; serve with beef and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 533 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 407mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 44g protein.
Mar 30, 2018
One of my most favorite ways to cook a roast!
Sep 7, 2017
This was delicious!! I cooked it in my crockpot on low for 5 hours and it was simply amazing!!!
Mar 16, 2014
This was the first time I've cooked gravy using buttermilk. It did not disappoint. It was delicious.
Oct 5, 2013
THE most moist roast I've ever made. Everyone loved it!
Apr 22, 2013
I made this in the oven bag with a 2 3/4 lb. chuck roast. Unfortunately, I forgot to adjust the time correctly and baking for 2 hours was too long and the meat was a little dry. But the veggies were nice and soft with nice flavor. Will definitely make this again. Would also like to try it in the crockpot.
Feb 9, 2011
I cooked the roast and vegetables in a oven bag that was held in a 13 x 9 pan. This was the best roast I have ever made!! This recipe is a keeper!! I put a whole packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix in and only 1 medium onion chopped.
Jan 27, 2011
Wonderful, melt in your mouth delicious.
Dec 13, 2010
Miss Nikki, thanks for the advice. I had planned on cooking 8 hours on low but due to time had to go with 6 on high.
Dec 13, 2010
This was very good. I put it in the crockpot for 6 hours on high. For the gravy I mixed some cornstarch and water and added them to the boiling broth along with some beef boullion. Very good.
Dec 11, 2010
I am not a fan of Dijon Mustard..but in this recipe it is delicious. This will be a regular "sunday" meal that I will be making.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.