Spinach Cheese Phyllo Squares
"A higher-fat version of this casserole was a big hit when my aunt and I ran a gourmet carryout business," relates Julie Remer of Gahanna, Ohio. " Now that I'm only cooking for my family, I'm trying to lighten things up a bit."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups Daisy fat-free cottage cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- Layer three phyllo sheets in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, lightly spraying the top of each sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, cheese, 2 eggs, parsley flakes and salt; spread over phyllo dough. Top with remaining phyllo sheets, lightly spraying the top of each sheet with cooking spray. Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 squares; cover and chill for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, milk and remaining eggs until blended; pour over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 187 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 593mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Nov 28, 2011
Sorry I have not tried, but I don't know how to remove this. I will post when I have made this.
Jan 21, 2009
I probably wouldn't make this again because it's a wasteful to buy a package of Phyllo dough, thaw and only use 6 sheets.