A tube of refrigerated pizza dough and frozen chopped spinach make these impressive appetizers a cinch. "I found the recipe in a cookbook but lightened it up," explains Prospect, Kentucky's Juliet Lodge. "They're wonderful with white wine."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Pizza sauce, warmed, optional
- Cook spinach according to package directions; drain well. In a bowl, combine the spinach, Swiss cheese, ricotta cheese, onion, basil, salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- Roll pizza dough into a 15x10-in. rectangle; cut into six 5-in. squares. Spoon 1/3 cup spinach mixture onto the center of each square; brush edges of dough with water. Fold one corner over filling to the opposite corner, forming a triangle. Using a fork, crimp edges to seal.
- Place in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Prick tops with a fork. Lightly beat egg white and water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with pizza sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 268 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 579mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Swiss Spinach Calzones in Light & Tasty August/September 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.