Spinach Phyllo Bundles
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- Pepper to taste
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14-inch x 9-inch sheet size)
- In a large skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the spinach, feta cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, bread crumbs, salt, dill and pepper.
- Melt remaining butter. Layer and brush five phyllo sheets with melted butter. (Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Cut buttered sheets lengthwise into 2-in. strips. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling at one end of each strip; fold into a triangle, as you would fold a flag.Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with butter. Repeat three times, using five sheets of phyllo each time.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 280 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 683mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Jun 30, 2008
The recipe says to cut buttered sheets "lengthwise," which to me means "along the length, or longest plane." But since the recipe states that it makes 28 appetizers (out of 4 stacks of phyllo), what is actually meant is, "Cut the buttered sheets into 2-inch strips along the 14-inch side" - so that seven strips are made from each stack!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.