A tube of refrigerated pizza dough and frozen chopped spinach make these impressive appetizers a cinch. "I found the recipe in a cookbook but lightened it up," explains Prospect, Kentucky's Juliet Lodge. "They're wonderful with white wine."
Recommended: Handheld Recipes for Busy People On-The-Go
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Pizza sauce, warmed, optional
- Cook spinach according to package directions; drain well. In a bowl, combine the spinach, Swiss cheese, ricotta cheese, onion, basil, salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- Roll pizza dough into a 15x10-in. rectangle; cut into six 5-in. squares. Spoon 1/3 cup spinach mixture onto the center of each square; brush edges of dough with water. Fold one corner over filling to the opposite corner, forming a triangle. Using a fork, crimp edges to seal.
- Place in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Prick tops with a fork. Lightly beat egg white and water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with pizza sauce if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Calzones in Light & Tasty August/September 2005, p47
Reviews forSpinach Calzones
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 26, 2008
"It was absolutely delicous. Instantly a family favorite!"