Set out this unique spider instead of biscuits or rolls, and you'll definitely make an impression. Start with from-scratch dough and shape it as directed. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 raisins
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add 1 egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape half of the dough into a ball and place in the center of a greased baking sheet. Divide remaining dough in half. Roll one half into a ball and place at the top for head.
- Divide remaining dough into eight portions. Roll each into a 5-in. rope. Attach ropes to body, forming legs. If desired, place a ball of foil under each leg to prop. Press all edges together to seal. Add raisins for eyes. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Beat the remaining egg; brush over dough. With a sharp knife, make a shallow cut on face for smile. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.