- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple slices, drained
- 10 to 12 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a saucepan, melt 2/3 cup of butter; stir in brown sugar. Spread in the bottom of an ungreased heavy 12-in skillet or a 13x9-in. baking pan. Arrange pineapple in a single layer over sugar mixture; place a cherry in the center of each slice. Sprinkle with pecans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add alternately to batter with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Carefully pour over the pineapple. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes for skillet (50-60 minutes for baking pan) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forSpiced Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
"This was very good. I left the nutmeg out."
"Hubby loved it! I did 9x13 cooked in 50 minutes"
"I recall preparing this recipe and it's excellent. I did make adjustments to the recipe by using 8 maraschino cherries, 1 tsp. each baking soda and salt. I used soured milk by adding 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar to the amount of milk stated in this recipe. I also used a 10" iron skillet OR in a pinch, a 13x9x2" baking pan. I'd used 1-1/3 cup butter or margarine, divided.I omitted the pecans for allergy reasons: not everyone is a fan of pecans or else has an allergy to nuts. I'd creamed 2/3 cup of the butter for the batter and melted 2/3 cup butter for the pineapple topping. I recall baking 40 minutes in skillet OR 50 to 60 minutes in 13x9x2" baking pan. delowenstein"
"For the most part, this was your average pineapple upside down cake except with spices and WAY too much butter! It was drowning in butter and although I have a sweet tooth, 2.5 cups of sugar and 1 1/3 cups of butter was a wee bit much. My dad said this was good, my mom tried it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to cut the sweetness, my sis didn't say anything (even though SHE'S the one who picked this out) and I thought it was too soaked in butter to really enjoy it."
"It is one of the best pineapple upside down cake that I have baked or eaten anywhere"
"I just made this recipe again with a twist... I used fresh granny smith apples instead of pineapple. I used 5 medium apples sliced thin and removed the core. I then steamed them for 8 - 10 minutes; or until crisp tender. Let cool in a strainer while I made the cake batter and glaze. Baked according to directions. As for Ms. wmssquad below...a well seasoned 12" cast iron skillet will do the trick."