Spiced Harvest Pumpkin Soup
Dazzling golden orange, this soup will brighten any day. I especially enjoy it on a cool autumn night.—Jason Johnson, West Valley City, Utah
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 6 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium apple, peeled and shredded
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onion and celery in butter for 4 minutes. Add apple and garlic; cook 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the pumpkin, broth, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add milk and cream. Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Garnish servings with pumpkin seeds.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 208 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Harvest Pumpkin Soup in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2010