Juicy chicken, cherry tomatoes, whole mushrooms and sweet peppers make these skewers filling. But it's the fresh garlic, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper that give them their zesty kick. —Larry Smith of Youngstown, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 large fresh mushrooms
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Pour half into a large resealable plastic bag; add vegetables. Seal bag and turn to coat. Pour remaining marinade into another large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate vegetables and chicken for at least 2-3 hours.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Drain vegetables, reserving marinade for basting. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread chicken and vegetables.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, basting frequently with reserved marinade.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 231 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Southwestern Skewers in Light & Tasty June/July 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.