Cilantro & Lemon Marinated Chicken Kabobs
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + marinating Grill: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 serrano peppers, sliced
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (1 inch), coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 medium sweet onions, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Lemon wedges
- In a large bowl, toss chicken with lemon juice and salt; let stand 15 minutes. Meanwhile, place water, yogurt, herbs, peppers, ginger and garlic in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Stir into chicken mixture; refrigerate, covered, 2 hours.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Brush onions with 2 tablespoons oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Thread chicken onto six metal or soaked wooden skewers. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 10-12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning occasionally and brushing with remaining oil during the last 4 minutes. Serve with grilled onions and lemon wedges.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 kabob with 1/2 grilled onion: 224 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 651mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 8, 2019
So delicious and flavorful. I added more cilantro, but that's just a personal preference.
Feb 27, 2017
This was very good! Simple dish with lots of flavor!
Aug 28, 2016
This was awesome. Alongside the chicken and onions, I grilled naan brushed with olive oil and garlic, and cut it into pieces, then served the chicken and onion over it with white sauce and feta. Got rave reviews.
Apr 26, 2015
My husband and I both love Indian food and these skewers were fabulous. For a weeknight meal, I made the marinade the night before, added the chicken before leaving for work, and was ready to start grilling when I got home. Chicken was fine with the extra marinating time. Flavorful and reminiscent of tandoori chicken.
Apr 25, 2015
Delicious!! My family raved and devoured them, even the little ones. Bright lemon flavor goes nicely with the green herbs. Quick and easy--I didn't think it took as much time as the recipe suggests ("prep 40 min.).
Apr 11, 2015
I tried these out on a crowd. Because they were the grand prize winner, I wasn't worried. Boy were they delicious!! SO much flavor! I followed the recipe to the letter, making 2 batches. Next time I'll soak a few toothpicks when I do my wooden skewers and put a couple in each side of the onion slices to hold...I lost a couple in the grill. Soooo good!! Everyone raved! Thank you, Moumita!