Quick Cilantro Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, cumin and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the chicken in 2 tablespoons butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute onions in remaining butter until tender and golden brown. Return chicken to the pan. Stir in lemon juice and cilantro; bring to a boil. If desired, serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 260 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 469mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 26, 2014
We thought this was ok. I added diced avocado, sour cream and salsa to mine to add some flavor. it was great the next day on top of a southwestern salad, but we didn't think it was good on it's own.
Nov 20, 2013
Very good! I substituted lime for the lemon and added some black beans and some carrots just because I had them around... This recipe wasn't dry at all for me. Will make again.
Jan 12, 2013
It was very good but a little too much lemon. I will make it again with some modifications? It is a little too dry.
Dec 29, 2012
Delicious and easy
Nov 10, 2011
When I first made this recipe, I made it as is and didn't add anything else. I liked it, but I felt it needed something more to balance it out. I made it again and I added black beans, salsa, and guacamole. It's great! It's like homemade Chipotle. Thanks for sharing!!
May 21, 2011
Good, but will use less lemon juice next time.
Feb 18, 2011
Easy to make, tastes great! I love cilantro, and this recipe really brings out the flavor with the lemon and cilantro with chicken. I added sour cream and sprinkled cheddar cheese on top...Definitely make it again!
Aug 21, 2009
We loved this. I used only half the amount of fat (1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil) and did the onions before the chicken as I usually caramelize onions very slowly. I also added some cayenne pepper to the chicken. I had only bottled lemon juice on hand, but next time will be sure to use fresh as I have found it usually does improve the flavor.It would be easy to caramelize the onions and cut up the chicken and add the spices ahead of time and then really throw this together at the last minute. I suspect it will also freeze well.This recipe will definetly go into frequent rotation.