Cilantro & Lime Chicken with Scoops
I came up with this recipe when I was preparing for a large party, and I wanted a healthy Tex-Mex chicken to serve in tortilla cups. This party dish can made ahead of time to free up yourself for time-sensitive dishes. You can serve it in tortilla chip cups or any other savory crispy cup you can find. Leftovers are great over salad greens or wrapped up in a tortilla as a burrito. — Lori Terry, Chicago, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
Makes16 servings (1/4 cup each)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 cups frozen petite corn (about 5 ounces), thawed
- 1-1/2 cups chunky salsa
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Baked tortilla chip scoops
- Minced fresh cilantro
- Place chicken in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with chili powder and lime juice. Cook, covered, on low until tender, 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken; discard cooking juices. Shred chicken with two forks; return to slow cooker. Add corn and salsa; cook, covered, on low until heated through, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a large bowl; stir in cheese, pepper and green onions. Serve with tortilla scoops; sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup chicken mixture: 97 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat.
Originally published as Shredded Lime Chicken Tortilla Cups in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017