- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bottle (46 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic;cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the V8 juice, tomatoes and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in okra and catfish; cook 8 minutes longer. Add the shrimp; cook 7 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Place rice in 12 individual serving bowls; top with gumbo. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forSouthern Seafood Gumbo
"I served this for "Mardi Gras" Tuesday and it was a hit! Everyone had seconds. Very easy to prepare.I added 1/2 tsp. of sugar to tone down any acidity in the tomato ingredients (I always do this), and I didn't have cayenne so I used red pepper flakes. Since I am serving six, I will add more catfish next time.Taste as you prepare, so that you can make it as spicy as you prefer."