- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 7 large eggs, divided use
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, butter, pesto, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until blended.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and red pepper over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and red pepper is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk six eggs and the remaining salt and pepper until blended. Return sausage to skillet. Pour in egg mixture; cook and stir until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains.
- Unfold each puff pastry sheet onto a 12x10-in. sheet of parchment paper. Spread grits to within 1/2 in. of edges. Spoon sausage mixture over half of grits on each pastry. Fold pastries over sausage mixture to enclose; press edges with a fork to seal. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg and water; brush over pastries. If desired, top with additional ground pepper. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut each pastry into four pieces. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSouthern Brunch Pastry Puff
"There's a lot of tasty flavors in here! I especially thought the grits with the puff pastry was interesting and yummy."