Puff Pastry Pillows
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar or coarse sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Carefully open each puff pastry sheet. Cut each sheet of pastry at creases, forming 3 strips. Cut each strip widthwise into 7 pieces.
- Combine egg and milk; lightly brush egg mixture over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Split into top and bottom halves.
- In a saucepan, combine the flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Cool.
- Transfer to a bowl; beat in the butter, sugar, vanilla, almond extract and salt until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Spread 1 tablespoonful on bottom half of each pastry; replace tops. Store in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 124 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 102mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 10, 2016
My Family absolutely loves these i have been making them for about 8 years!! The only correction for me was cooking the puff pastry I find if i set the oven to 400 these brown much better and are not doughy in the middle. If you have a true convection oven they really come out great on convection because they cook really even. I have had a difficult time trying to find the coarse sugar for the top so I decided to use sugar in the raw it works excellent!! I would also like to add that the filling for these has always been hard for me to perfect and don't come out as creamy as I think it should, so while making these with my daughter she suggested we switch out the granulated sugar for 2 cups of powdered sugar.and the result was amazing it makes a much fluffier and creamy filling. Happy Cooking!
May 31, 2013
Yum! One of my new favorites. You will look like you spent a lot of time making these, but they are a snap.
Jan 22, 2013
I have made these for the past few years and everyone always loves them! They are one of my favorite baked good to eat!Light and tasty, and I love the cream center with with the almond extract....everyone raves about them!
Apr 16, 2012
I enjoy making new recipes and sending them off with my DH to work. I know these are going to be a hi, I tasted one as I packed them and they're devine! For whatever reason some didn't want to brown on top and some were still doughy, so I browned them under the broiler and as I stuffed with cream I removed some dry raw dough off some. I will not be so light handed on the egg wash next time as well as being a bit more generous with sprinkling the sugar next time I had quite alot left over. The cream mixture was just the right amount, I had very little leftover. Definetly a keeper! Thank you
Jan 2, 2012
A co-worker brought this in to a potluck we had at work. I fell in love with these delicious dainty desserts. I finally got the recipe tonight, and plan on making them for an upcoming church dinner. I'm gonna experiment with different flavored fillings, such as lemon, strawberry, and banana.
Dec 8, 2010
My extended family loves these. I sprinkle with red and green colored sugar to make more "christmasy". Taste like they came from a old style bakery.
Nov 25, 2010
Great Recipe, wouldn't change a thing. Heads up, the filling is very rich..
Nov 6, 2010
These are absolutely delicious! And quite easy to make, yet they look and taste like they were made by a pastry chef. I had alot of filling leftover so next time I will half the filling ingredients.
Feb 23, 2010
For a little added flavor and color, I spread a little strawberry or raspberry jam on the bottom half, then filling, and top with top halves. Yummy and quick festive little pastries!!