Mediterranean Veggie Brunch Puff
I make breakfast casseroles with whatever I have, like spinach, sweet red pepper and cheddar. With this puff, we like a burst of flavor from Greek vinaigrette. —Angela Robinson, Findlay, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
- 6 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups cubed croissants (about 6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons Greek vinaigrette
- In a large bowl, whisk the first 6 ingredients until blended. Place croissant pieces in a single layer in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish; top with 1/2 cup red pepper, onion and spinach. Pour egg mixture over top. Sprinkle with cheeses. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Finely chop remaining red pepper; place in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add vinaigrette; shake to combine and refrigerate until serving.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting. Serve with vinaigrette mixture.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole and remaining chopped sweet red pepper separately. To use, partially thaw both in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Combine vinaigrette and chopped sweet red pepper; serve with casserole.