Mediterranean Veggie Brunch Puff
I make breakfast casseroles with whatever I have, like spinach, sweet red pepper and cheddar. With this puff, we like a burst of flavor from Greek vinaigrette. —Angela Robinson, Findlay, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
- 6 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups cubed croissants (about 6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons Greek vinaigrette
- In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended. Place croissant pieces in a single layer in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish; top with 1/2 cup red pepper, onion and spinach. Pour egg mixture over top. Sprinkle with cheeses. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Finely chop remaining red pepper; place in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add vinaigrette; shake to combine and refrigerate until serving.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting. Serve with vinaigrette mixture. Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 piece with 1-1/2 teaspoons vinaigrette mixture: 281 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 175mg cholesterol, 656mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Mediterranean Veggie Brunch Puff in Simple & Delicious August/September 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.