Sour Cream Fan Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min./batch
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine 3-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and baking powder. In a small saucepan, heat the sour cream, water and butter to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 23x9-in. rectangle. Cut into 1-1/2-in. strips. Stack five strips together; cut into 1-1/2-in. pieces and place cut side up in a greased muffin cup. Repeat with remaining strips. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 182 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 17, 2013
These rolls are a family favorite. I have found they bake best for me as small rolled balls in two 9X13 baking dishes. They taste even better with a sprinkle of Asiago Cheese baked on top.
Aug 1, 2012
I am asked to make these delicious rolls for every family holiday! Thank you for the recipe.
Jul 30, 2011
these are the best tasting yeast rolls ever. made up dough using kitchen aid mixer and dough hook. the roll had a light, slightly sweet flavor. can't miss with this recipe!
Jan 10, 2011
This was a denser roll than I expected, but still good. Next time I'm going to make these into a loaf of bread instead of rolls though.