English Batter Buns
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounces each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the shortening, sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Stir batter vigorously for 25 strokes (dough will be slightly sticky). Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups. Tap pans to settle the batter. Cover and let rise until batter reaches tops of cups, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 241 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 26, 2018
These are so easy to make and taste great. I think they are best the day they are made.
Nov 23, 2015
can this be made in bread machine on dough cycle?
Aug 7, 2015
Just made these! Very delicious and easy! Now that I made them, I can see that they are a canvas - could sprinkle sea salt on them, add cheese or even make them sweet. They are delicious as they are though! Very easy clean-up!
Apr 8, 2015
LOVE this recipe! My family has requested this 2x week for the last month. Great texture & taste of old fashioned yeast rolls in less than half the time. You should try this if you haven't been satisfied with rapid/quick rise yeast rolls/bread. This taste like yeast rolls should! We just love 'em.
Jan 3, 2015
Easy cute bread, new family favorite !
Oct 8, 2012
Very good. I thought they were too yeasty tasting, but my husband and boys loved them! Very easy too.
Feb 6, 2011
Whole family loves these. Even tried making them w/half White Whole Wheat flour and they still had great taste and texture. Comes together very quick and simply.