Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons hot water
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in the egg, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, melt butter in a saucepan until golden brown; stir in confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough water to reach a spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies.
1 cookie: 80 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 44mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.