Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- SPICED SUGAR:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, spices, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half; shape each into an 8-in.-long roll. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix spiced sugar ingredients. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices; press cookies into sugar mixture to coat both sides or sprinkle sugar mixture over cookies. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Freeze option: Freeze wrapped logs in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, unwrap frozen logs and cut into slices. If necessary, let dough stand a few minutes at room temperature before cutting. Bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 84 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 23, 2018
Followed the recipe as stated and my cookies are a hit. This is a excellent, easy to follow recipe. This recipe is a keeper.
Dec 23, 2018
While the dough is a bit sticky it is workable and provides a very good cookie. They were both crisp and a bit chewy as well. It probably depends on the cooking time.
Mar 12, 2018
The snickerdoodle fanatics in the family loved this variation and enjoyed the crispness of this cookie.
Dec 17, 2017
These tasted doughy even with all the spices! I had to bake them over 12 minutes just to get them slightly crisp! I kept increasing the baking time and the last batch was finally slightly crispy! So disappointed because I love Snickerdoodles and these didn't even taste like them! With all the spices, they were BROWN instead of beige rolled in spices. I'l go back to my old recipe and just bake them a little longer for crispness. Try the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook! The best flavor and much easier!
Jul 16, 2016
Made these for a nautical theme party. Delicious and easy. I didn't have allspice so I eliminated it.I put the dough in the refrigerator for 2 hours. I did as NanZim suggested and rolled the dough in balls. (so much easier) I also added 5 sliced almond to the top to make them look like sand dollars.They were a big hit. Will definitely be making these again. Wish I could include a picture.
Dec 14, 2015
Snickerdoodle's are my husband's favorite cookie . I often experiment with different recipes. He really likes this recipe. I found it easier to chill the doll, roll it into 1-inch balls, roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar and then flatten them with a glass.
Nov 26, 2015
These cookies were packed with flavor and super delicious! The dough was difficult to work with so I recommend putting it in the freezer 20-30 minutes before slicing.