- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and chopped
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with seasonings.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms until tender, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, cook chicken in remaining oil until bottom is browned, about 4 minutes. Turn chicken; top with mushrooms and remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, until chicken is no longer pink, 4-5 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSmothered Chicken
"This was delicious and so easy to make."
"I made a half-batch of this recipe today, cooking it in an 8-inch cast iron skillet. I started by frying 2 chopped slices of bacon in the skillet, removing them for the topping and leaving some of the fat behind in place of the cooking oil. Very tasty and colorful!One caution: Today's chickens have bigger breasts. One boneless breast half weighed up at 10 ounces, making two generous servings."
"Made this for the family tonight but used fresh mushrooms that I cooked up in the bacon grease. Some thought it was a little dry (they picked off the mushrooms) but I served it with a little chicken gravy and everyone was happy."
"This dish was absolutely delicious. The only changes I made to the recipe was that I added 1-18 oz jar of chicken gravy, to make a richer sauce and I used real chopped bacon on top. My family is hooked! This will definitely be on our menu very often."
"This has been a go-to recipe in my home for years; a frequent request of my husband and even my super picky children gobble this up. I use center cut bacon and reduced fat cheese to cut some of the fat."
"So simple and fantastic. I use fresh mushrooms instead of canned."