- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- Garlic powder and seasoned salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with garlic powder and seasoned salt. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil for 4 minutes; turn. Top with the mushrooms, cheese, green onions and bacon. Cover and cook until chicken juices run clear and cheese is melted, about 4 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSmothered Chicken
"I made a half-batch of this recipe today, cooking it in an 8-inch cast iron skillet. I started by frying 2 chopped slices of bacon in the skillet, removing them for the topping and leaving some of the fat behind in place of the cooking oil. Very tasty and colorful!One caution: Today's chickens have bigger breasts. One boneless breast half weighed up at 10 ounces, making two generous servings."
"Made this for the family tonight but used fresh mushrooms that I cooked up in the bacon grease. Some thought it was a little dry (they picked off the mushrooms) but I served it with a little chicken gravy and everyone was happy."
"This dish was absolutely delicious. The only changes I made to the recipe was that I added 1-18 oz jar of chicken gravy, to make a richer sauce and I used real chopped bacon on top. My family is hooked! This will definitely be on our menu very often."
"This has been a go-to recipe in my home for years; a frequent request of my husband and even my super picky children gobble this up. I use center cut bacon and reduced fat cheese to cut some of the fat."
"So simple and fantastic. I use fresh mushrooms instead of canned."
"So easy and delicious."