Smooth & Creamy Pumpkin Soup
My mother-in-law shared this recipe with me. She doesn't cook anymore, so now I make it for her, and she enjoys eating it as much as I enjoy making it. The pumpkin flavor brings a little Thanksgiving to any meal. —Helen Espinosa, Miami, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 large pie pumpkin (about 4 pounds)
- 4 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (7.6 ounces) media crema table cream
- Roasted pumpkin seeds, fried sage leaves, optional
- Cut a 4-in. circle around pumpkin stem; remove top and discard. Peel pumpkin; cut in half. Remove strings and seeds; discard seeds or save for roasting. Cut pumpkin into 1-in cubes. Place in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water.
- Stir in onion, butter, bouillon, garlic, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
- Add cream; heat through. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan and heat through. If desired, top with roasted pumpkin seeds and fried sage leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 150 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 794mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Smooth and Silky Pumpkin Soup in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017