Slow-Cooker Short Rib Ragu over Pappardelle
An irresistible sauce gives this beef another dimension of flavor. Nearly any starchy side, such as potatoes or polenta, will work in place of the pasta. Short ribs are my crowd-pleaser weekend meal for all occasions. —Missy Raho, Morristown, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 7 hrs.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 pound pappardelle
- Parmesan cheese, grated or shaved, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown meat in batches. Transfer meat to a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Add mushrooms, onion, carrots and bay leaves.
- In the same skillet, add tomato paste, wine, garlic and seasonings. Cook and stir over medium heat until fragrant and slightly darkened, 2-4 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes until blended. Transfer mixture to slow cooker; cover. Cook on low until beef is tender, 7-9 hours. Discard bay leaves.
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Serve ragu over pasta. If desired, serve with Parmesan cheese.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup ragu over 3/4 cup pasta: 302 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Crockpot Short Rib Ragu over Pappardelle in Taste of Home September/October 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.