Slow Cooker Chocolate Pots de Creme
Lunch on the go just got a whole lot sweeter. Tuck jars of rich chocolate custard into lunch bags for a midday treat. These desserts in a jar are fun for picnics, too. —Nick Iverson, Denver, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours + chilling
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 canning jars (4 ounces each) with lids and bands
- 3 cups hot water
- Whipped cream, grated chocolate and fresh raspberries, optional
- Place cream, chocolate and espresso in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high until chocolate is melted and cream is hot, 4 minutes. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt until blended but not foamy. Slowly whisk in cream mixture; stir in extract.
- Pour egg mixture into jars. Center lids on jars and screw on bands until fingertip tight. Add hot water to a 7-qt. slow cooker; place jars in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until set, 4 hours. Remove jars from slow cooker; cool on counter for 30 minutes. Refrigerate until cold, 2 hours.
- If desired, top with whipped cream, grated chocolate and raspberries.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 424 calories, 34g fat (21g saturated fat), 160mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Chocolate Pots De Creme in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.