Slow-Cooker Chocolate Pots de Creme
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours + chilling
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups hot water
- Optional: Whipped cream, grated chocolate and fresh raspberries
- Place cream, chocolate and espresso in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high until chocolate is melted and cream is hot, 4 minutes. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt until blended but not foamy. Slowly whisk in cream mixture; stir in extract.
- Ladle egg mixture into eight 4-ounce jars. Center lids on jars and screw on bands until fingertip tight. Add hot water to a 7-qt. slow cooker; place jars in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until set, about 4 hours. Remove jars from slow cooker; cool on counter for 30 minutes. Refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
- If desired, top with whipped cream, grated chocolate and raspberries.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 424 calories, 34g fat (21g saturated fat), 160mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Oct 15, 2019
Bobbie, I looked up the temp for a slow cooker on low and I got 185 to 200 F. Cooking in a little water is a bain-marie, which is putting a pot in water to cook. By placing the jars in a roasting pan with a few inches of water and putting the oven on 200F you should get about the same result. Pull the wire rack out, put the pan on the rack with the jars in the pan or set them in the pan. Then add boiling water to the pan. It will start off already hot. Some people put a towel in the pan, then set the jars on, its less splashing. Another method would be to cook this over a double boiler and load the jars, but there are enough recipes out there that are setup for that. RJF
Mar 9, 2019
I have not made the Slow Cooker Chocolate Pots De Creme yet, but this seemed to be the only way to ask my question, which is, Is there another way to make these without using a crock pot since mine is not large enough for 8 jars. Thank you.