- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3 poblano peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 16 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 3 cups crumbled queso fresco or shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: cubed avocado, sour cream and minced fresh cilantro
- Mix the first nine ingredients. Cut roast in half; rub with 1/4 cup spice mixture. Cover and store remaining mixture in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year.
- Place onions and peppers in a 4-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides. Transfer meat and drippings to slow cooker. Top with salsa. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast; shred with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup meat mixture on each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Add toppings of your choice. Yield: 16 servings plus 1/4 cup leftover spice mixture.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Chipotle Beef Carnitas
"This is FANTASTIC! I didn't change a thing, and won't next time, either. The meat is super tender and very flavorful. It was about as spicy as the kids could handle, but they still enjoyed it!"