Slow-Cooked Peach Salsa
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours + cooling
- 4 pounds tomatoes (about 12 medium), chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped peeled fresh peaches (about 4 medium), divided
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 7 ingredients; stir in 2 cups peaches. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until onion is tender.
- Stir tomato paste and remaining peaches into slow cooker. Cool. Transfer to covered containers. (If freezing, use freezer-safe containers and fill to within 1/2 in. of tops.) Refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze up to 12 months. Thaw frozen salsa in refrigerator before serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 28 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Sep 27, 2019
This recipe is so easy to throw together, and the taste is amazing! The expression on my husband's face when I gave him a sample was priceless! It's flavorful, with a nice thick and chunky consistency. I added a chopped mango as I had a very ripe one to use up, otherwise followed as written.
Jul 1, 2018
This was a great recipe that yielded some awesome salsa! I probably screwed myself out of 2 cups of the finished product by using roma tomatoes, so if you use them for this recipe because they're cheaper at the grocery, better make it 15-16 tomatoes, and not just 12. Next time I make this (YES, there will be a next time!), I'm going to use both peach AND mango. So glad I made this!