Slow-Cooked Moroccan Chicken
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up, skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked couscous
- Place carrots and onions in a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle chicken with salt; add to slow cooker. Top with apricots and raisins. In a small bowl, whisk broth, tomato paste, flour, lemon juice, garlic and seasonings until blended; add to slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 6-7 hours. Serve with hot cooked couscous.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 435 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 755mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 6g fiber), 42g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 26, 2017
My family enjoyed this recipe. I liked the sweetness the fruit brought to the dish.
May 18, 2016
This is a regular at our house. It always receives rave reviews! Great way to spice up boring chicken beasts.
Jul 29, 2013
used leg quarters and this recipe came out beautifully. next time will increase heat level just a little with chile or cayenne.
Feb 4, 2013
This chicken tastes more like Indian food I tried at a local restaurant, but not as good though
Feb 16, 2012
Everyone in the family enjoyed it! His parents aren't too fond of spicy food, so it is always wonderful to find a dish that has lots of flavor but isn't too hot for some at the table. I used chicken breasts rather than a whole chicken. Turned out great!
Jan 17, 2012
Dee-Lish! easy to prep, just a little chopping which could be done night before. Apricots/spices/onions- a really nice mix. We served over wild rice and froze half. Will definitely do this one again :)
Jan 11, 2012
This was a nice, quick, slow cooker dinner. The spices and dried fruit were a nice flavor, different from the usual chicken dishes. I used 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and there was easily enough for 5 servings. After the chicken was done, I left the lid off the cooker, and turned it up to high to thicken the sauce.
Jan 10, 2012
toooo much time to prep / tooo many ingreadeints for only 4 servings - would have to prep the day before / not enough time in the am .before work - BUT aGOOD/ TASTY recipe !!!
Sep 27, 2011
Perfect blend of middle eastern crusine; a hit in our home.
Sep 16, 2011
I had never had Moroccan food before, but thought I would give this recipe a try. I really enjoyed it. I halved the recipe (except for the lemon juice, which I accidentally added the full amount) and used boneless, skinless chicken breast. It was really good. The balance of the spices and the sweetness of the fruit really made the dish for me.