Skillet Ziti with Chicken and Broccoli
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked ziti
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 cup julienned roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. In a large skillet, saute chicken in 1 tablespoon butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute onion in remaining butter until tender. Add the garlic, pepper flakes, oregano and remaining salt; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth and milk; bring to a boil. Add ziti; cook for 7-8 minutes or until ziti is tender, adding broccoli and red peppers during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Return chicken to skillet; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts2 cups: 528 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 975mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 43g protein.
Jan 16, 2018
First time cooking macaroni in the sauce, won't be the last. The garlic was a nice touch.
Dec 21, 2017
This was good. Only a four because it was a little too thin of a sauce for me. It had good flavor though and would make again with a few tweaks.
Nov 11, 2013
I made this tonight and eliminated the onions and red peppers, added juice of a whole lemon and used 1 cup milk and 1 1/2 cups heavy cream! It was a HUGE hit! My 7 year old gave it a 10 out of 10! Its definitely a keeper!
Apr 17, 2012
Seems to be tricky getting all the pasta to cook evenly in the skillet & cut the red pepper flakes by 1/2. Still very tasty!
Feb 10, 2012
When cooking pasta (and lots of other stuff) altitude must be considered. I live at 4700 ft and it takes longer to cook pasta, eggs, etc. Maybe this is the problem.
Feb 9, 2012
One star only because it tasted ok. It was a liquidy disgusting mess with over cooked broccoli at the end of the cooking time. Just gross. I can't even bear to serve this to my husband tonight. Choked down a bowl for myself and threw the rest away. What a waste. I am an experienced cook. This was not a beginner's mistake.
Feb 8, 2012
I always pre-cook to al dente when it come to pasta being added to a skillet dish. Always comes out better. Otherwise I would make it again. PS - add Parmesan to broth and stir before adding chicken.
Feb 8, 2012
This recipe is a family favorite! We have a hard time finding ziti in the store, so we make it with penne and it turns out great. You do have to cook it a bit longer than what it says, but really it's not that difficult to cook it until the pasta is done to your likeness. We also added in more broth and milk. Yum!! Love the flavor from the garlic and red pepper flakes!
Aug 15, 2011
Yes, the pasta should cook longer (12ish minutes) and the sauce wasn't as creamy as I expected, but seriously - total family (and crowd?) pleaser. Moist, flavorful, 1-pot and EASY!!
Apr 26, 2011
Yum! This was really good. I would definitely add olives at the last minute next time!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.