For our brunches, we bake eggs in cornbread cups. With cheddar sauce and more cheese sprinkled on top, they make a cute little meal-in-one package. —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Featured In: 60 Muffin Recipes Worth Waking Up For
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine muffin mix, buttermilk and sour cream just until moistened; fold in cheese and bacon. Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups. Crack an egg into each cup; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until egg whites are completely set and yolks are still soft. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup cheese, thyme and 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt until cheese is melted.
- Serve muffins with sauce; sprinkle with the remaining cheese and seasoned salt. Serve immediately. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Shirred Egg Corn Muffins in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p27
Reviews forShirred Egg Corn Muffins
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 23, 2017
"A little odd...but pretty good!Maybe not the most kid friendly, but with some persuasion my 5 and 7 year olds tried it and liked it.I omitted the bacon from the recipe and just served bacon alongside."