For our brunches, we bake eggs in cornbread cups. With cheddar sauce and more cheese sprinkled on top, they make a cute little meal-in-one package. —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Featured In: 60 Muffin Recipes Worth Waking Up For
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine muffin mix, buttermilk and sour cream just until moistened; fold in cheese and bacon. Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups. Crack an egg into each cup; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until egg whites are completely set and yolks are still soft. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup cheese, thyme and 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt until cheese is melted.
- Serve muffins with sauce; sprinkle with the remaining cheese and seasoned salt. Serve immediately. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Shirred Egg Corn Muffins in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p27