- 6 cups water
- 12 medium carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cut into small cubes
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil; add carrots. Return to a boil; cover and cook for 4 minutes. Drain and immediately place the carrots in ice water; drain and pat dry. In a saucepan, saute onion in 1/4 cup butter. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard, celery salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, layer half of the carrots, cheese and white sauce. Repeat layers. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread cubes. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forScalloped Carrots Casserole
"Umm,Umm good ! Made this for a family gathering. Some attending didn't like carrots however, I convinced them to try it. Needless to say, They all loved it. I had to make several copies of the receipe , even for the ones that "didn't like carrots". This casserole is bound to be served often at my house."
"This was absolutely delicious! I had this in my recipe box for a while now and recently made it. Why did I wait so long?!?!? I can see making this many more times in the future."
"Wanted to try this casserole but was in a super hurry so here are the changes I made:I used half of a medium onion sauteed in 1/4 of butter and:I used two envelopes of White Sauce Mix and prepared according to package directions but added the ground mustard and only an 1/8 of a teaspoon of celery salt and added an 1/8 of a teaspoon celery seed. I also used croutons instead of bread cut into cubes.Next time I will use french fried onion rings for a different flavor twist topping.Even with my changes this was super good!"
"one word..WOW... I am so upset I had not found this receipe a long time ago. It is so so so good. We ate it for days. I am so excited to bring it to Easter to share with my family"
"this is very addicting...scrumptious!!"
"I used 2% milk and 2% milk cheddar cheese."
"This is a wonderful recipe!"