- 1 unsliced round loaf sourdough bread (1 pound)
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 to 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut bread widthwise into 1-in. slices to within 1/2 in. of bottom of loaf. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Cut cheese into 1/4-in. slices; cut slices into small pieces. Place cheese in cuts.
- In a small bowl, mix butter, green onions and poppy seeds; drizzle over bread. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Unwrap; bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSavory Party Bread
"This snack is as amazing!"
"This is so easy, that I've started just using this for every event. Office potluck? Hit! Christmas party with friends? Everyone loved it! Even if it's not an event and you just want something special with dinner - this recipe is just the ticket. (And it's so easy!)Plenty of opportunity to mix it up, too - adding bacon, using a different kind of bread or cheese, adding an extra garlic dipping sauce on the side, they're all winners!"
"Very good! Added some fresh garlic, bacon bits and parsley flakes. Served with dip bc it needed a little something extra"
"I added crumbed and chopped spinach to the butter and green onions and cooked crumbled bacon really good!!"
"I found this recipe in an old Taste of Home at my mother in law's house a long time ago. It was raining, I was bored, and found this while picking through old Taste of Home magazines along with about 6 other recipes (through at least 30 mags.) I made this when I got home and have been making it ever since; never did try any of the others. We are a pretty health-conscious family but everyone makes an exception for the cheesy bread! My son was out of town at a party this weekend and called me for the recipe so he could make it as his contribution to a New Year's Eve party. Everyone who has ever tasted it just raves over it. One of the best recipe shares ever!"
"I made two of these breads for different parties I attended over this past Christmas. Everyone raved about them and needless to say, they were gone in no time. The first one I shredded Ex-sharp chedder cheese, mozzarella cheese and swiss cheese along with the onions etc. Everyone basically forgot about their diets. The second one I made with sunflower seed bread and did the same but also added fresh cooked garlic. Once again, it was eaten up very quickly. Everyone loved them both. Great for parties."
"I can't wait to make this for New Years Eve!! I will eliminate the onion & add garlic YUM!! Thank you for a terrific idea. Me Thinks..... it calls for lots of napkins : ))"