- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (6 ounces) four-cheese corkscrew pasta mix
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir the pasta, contents of seasoning packet, salsa, water, chili powder, salt and cayenne into the skillet.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender, adding more water if necessary. Stir in tomatoes; sprinkle with olives and cheese. Cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSanta Fe Skillet
"I thought this was very good. I changed it a little because we dontcare for spicey food. I used taco seasoning instead of chilli powder. DeleatedtheCheyenne pepper and added a can of fiesta corn.i served tortilla chips with it and it made an easy weeknight supper"
"I make this with ground venison, use kraft spiral mac and cheese, and change the diced tomatoes to Ro*tel, original. Spices it up real nice. And I like spicey."
"It was ok. A little to salty for our tastes."
"It was too spicey for our taste. Maybe just half of the salsa and no chili powder would be a good starting place."
"The sodium content of this is about 1/2 of a whole day's recommended allowance. Use low or no-sodium diced tomatoes out the 1/2 tsp salt, low fat cheese & sour cream will go a long way to making this a healthier meal."
"I make this for a bunch of US Navy Vets that hate Hamburger Helper and love this! All I changed was to heat it up a little more!"
"Tasty. I used Hamberger Helper Four Cheese Italian."
"this was wonderful. My picky eater went back for 2nds & my husband made me write the recipe down so that I'd make it again."
"This was very easy and quite yummy! The magazine stated that the pasta Roni four-cheese corkscrew pasta mix was used in the testing kitchen but my local store did not carry that variety. I used Velveeta rotini and cheese. I was worried that the recipe would not turn out because the Velveeta product came with a packet of cheese rather than a seasoning packet. No worries! It still turned out great. This will remain in my recipe box for sure!"